Yesterday's surprise reveal of the new Louis Vuitton SS16 womenswear ad campaign featuring Jaden Smith was the talk of the Interwebz. Smith, clad in a skirt and leather jacket from the womenswear collection, is pictured alongside three female models. While reports of the ad have been mostly supportive, there are a LOT of people out there who are taken aback by seeing a young man in women's clothing. You guys just can't get over the fact that he's in a skirt! Most of us know that the various comment boards out there are chock full of ignorance and hate, but it's quite astounding to see the amount of commenters from the men's fashion world that have super nasty and offensive things to say about the ad. Below you'll find ten of the most insensitive and ridiculous comments I came across. The sites from which they were taken and the authors' usernames are not listed for obvious reasons. Take a trip backwards in tolerance below:
1. "Watch, he gon be the first to go Caitlyn Jenner and back (surgery and everything son), just to be different."
Um, that doesn’t make ANY sense. Like I’m not even sure that’s possible. And how did you figure that out from one photo? Are we even looking at the same ad?
2. "i dont care about this homo awareness campaign the media and you are pitching to me. this is some fag shit and i dont mind gay people."
You don’t mind gay people…you just refer to them with derogatory names. Interesting…please keep pretending that you're tolerant.
3. "the fuck up clown how does his dick taste"
Call me crazy but this seems like an incomplete thought. There are too many words missing here for me to respond.
4. "I'm all for the balancing of masculine and feminine energies..but what do you gain by effacing you're masculinity? "Too many niggas, not enough hoes; And some of you niggas, acting like hoes"
This was hopeful-this guy actually sounded intelligent until he misspelled "your" and quoted a dumb person.
5. "i wonder when he'll come out the closet"
So you can ask him out on a date?
6. "Not gonna be surprise if he's gonna grow up and be like Caitlyn"
Just like I won’t be surprised if a period finds its way to end of one of your sentences. Or if you actually use "going to" instead of "gonna". You should be ashamed...of your ignorance and your lack of punctuation.
7. "Bruh, I knew he was a faggot."
Do people really still use the f-word? Didn't that stop being offensive back in 2000? Or perhaps your vocabulary or social awareness just doesn't expand far enough for you to put together a phrase that would be considered offensive in 2015.
8. "that shit is an insult...u built like a bitch my dude"
And how exactly is a bitch built?
9. "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T BEAT YOUR CHILD FOR HANGINGOUT WITH WHITE WHO PARENTS PAY THEIR FATHER AND MOTHERS SALARY!! (DO NOT FOLLOW THE WAY OF THAT BEAST!! TO MUCH HYPE!!"
So this is a result of the entire race of white people’s conspiracy against blacks? Mind. Blown. There’s so much symbolism in this photo I wasn't aware of. Or maybe you're just crazy.
10. Gay is GAY
#Facts. Gay is gay. But just because Jaden Smith is exhibiting gender fluidity in a high fashion ad campaign doesn't mean he is.
I'm disappointed in the people who authored these comments. This is proof that we as a nation still have a tremendous amount of work to do. Jaden-keep gender bending and challenging social constructs. We need more of that and less of what's above.